Trung Gia High School – THE FIRST TERM TEST ( Grade 10th )
School year 2016- 2017 –Time allowed: 45 minutes – TEST CODE: 309
I. Choose the word in each group has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest:
1. A. film B. bite C. fight D. nice
2. A. greedy B. deed C. cheese D. cheerful
3. A. plenty B. fairy C. sky D. weekly
II. Choose the word in each group that has different stress pattern:
4. A. computer B. different C. capable D. calculate
5. A. explain B. problem C. study D. worry
III. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting:
6. After he finished his work, he came home.
A B C D
7. Because of the weather cold today, we can’t go swimming.
A B C D
8. The television whom we bought five days ago gives very good pictures.
A B C D
9. Where did he go last night? – He stays at home.
A B C D
10. Though I felt better, the doctor warned me to not do too much.
A B C D
IV. Choose the best answer ( A, B, C ,D ) that best completes each sentence :
11. Jack passed the exams with good results because of________.
A. he works hard B. his hard work
C. his work hard D. he worked hard
12. The books which I bought last week are____- .
A. interest B. interests C. interested D. interesting
13. He ___________- in a bank since he ___________- school.
A. worked / left B. has worked / left
C. has worked / has left D. worked / has left
14. Nobody has invited her to the party.
A. She has been invited to the party.
B. She has been invited to the party by nobody.
C. She hasn’t been invited to the party.
D. She hasn’t been invited to the party by nobody.
15. When the students____- the experiment, the electricity ____- out.
A. were doing / were going B. were doing / went
C. did / went D. did / were going
16. He is ______about going to France for higher _______- .
A. excite / educate B. excited / education
C. exciting / education D. excited / educate
17. Tim went on working ___- feeling unwell.
A. although B. in spite of C. because of D. because
18. The man __- you visited last month is a famous scientist.
A. whose B. who C. which D. of whom
19. He couldn’t sleep ______- he was very tired.
A. because of B. in spite of C. despite D. although
20. ____- is your school? – In the center of the city.
A. When B. What C. Where D. How
21. I haven’t seen them since that ________evening when the boat capsized.
A. memorable B. memory C. memorably D. memorize
22. He was busy with ____his homework.
A. do B. doing C. did D. done
23. She got a lot of money from her father after his _____.
A. death B. die C. died D. deadly
24. – “Would you like to have dinner with me?”
A. Yes, it is B. Yes, so do I C. I’m very happy D. Yes, I’d love to
25. The bank near our house __- last Sunday.
A. has been robbed B. was robbed
C. is robbed D. are robbed
26. Rachel’s mother paid for the meal, ____- was very kind of her.
A. that B. who C. which D. where
27. I know ____- how she left.
A. exactly B. exact C. certainly D. certain
28. John: “Thank you very much for a lovely party.”
Jane: “_______. ”
A. You are welcome B. Thanks C. Cheers D. Have a good day
29. By the time he _____, all his classmates ______- .
A. arrived / left B. had arrived / left
C. had arrived / had left D. arrived / had left
30. His parents felt quite ___- with his exam – result.
A. contentedly B. happiness C. happily D. contented
31. She has been out ____- work since last Tuesday.
A. of B. off C. with D. at
32. In spite of ______, the woman tries to climb the mountain very often.
A. she is old B. she has old years
C. her old age D. having old
33. The girl ____- arrived here at 6.30 chatted with him yesterday.
A. who B. whom C. which D. whose
34. ____- he studied hard, he failed the exam.
A. In spite of B. Because C. Although D. Despite
35. They _____- a prize for the fastest three runners last year.
A. wined B. won C. had won D. win
36. It takes me an hour ___- to school every day.
A. to go B. going C. went D. goes
V. Choose the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s )each of the following questions:
37. Nam has to ride his bike in narrow and crowded streets to get to school.
A. careful B. huge C. cramped D. large
38. My parents are always contented with what I do.
A. worried about B. interested in
C. disappointed with D. satisfied with
VI. Choose the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) each of the following questions
39. My uncle used to be a professional photographer when he was young.
A. unable B. amateur C. skillful D. complex
40. She refused to lend me her car.
A. permitted B. allowed C. accepted D. requested
VII. Choose the best word to fill in each blank:
In 1816, there were no schools for the deaf in this country. Several people attempted ____( 41 ) __- schools, but all of the schools closed. There were too many problems. The first people ___( 42 ) ____- were Laurent Clerc and Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet. They opened their school in 1817, and the school did not close. It ___( 43 ) ___- the Connecticut Asylum for the Education and Instruction of Deaf and Dumb Persons. It was the only school for deaf children in America!
Clerc and Gallaudet did not know what would happen after they opened their school. They worked very hard. The school grew, and many more students enrolled. These new students were from all over the country. People thought the school would be big enough ___- ( 44 ) ___all of the deaf children in America. The school is __- ( 45 ) ___- open today, but the name was changed. Today it is called The America School for the Deaf. It is in West Hartford, Connecticut.
41. A. starting B. start C. started D. to start
42. A. to succeed B. succeed C. succeeded D. succeeding
43. A. named B. naming C. was named D. was naming
44. A. for B. with C. to D. about
45. A. so B. still C. therefore D. in addition
VIII. Read the following passage, then choose the correct answer:
For the last few years, my children have been going to a summer camp in northern Greece called Skouras Camp. They always seem to have a good time, so if you’re wondering what to do with the kids for three weeks this summer, you could do worse than send them to this beautiful camp on the shores of the Aegean Sea. If your children, like mine, are keen on adventure, sports and good company, the Skouras Camp will keep them busy all day doing the things they most enjoy. Skouras is an international camp with children from all over the world. My children have made friends with children of their own age from Poland, China, Demark and the United States. Naturally they get lots of opportunities to practice their English as this is the only language spoken. The camp is located in one of the most beautiful parts of Chalkidiki. It is huge ( 120,000 square meters ) and is just a stone’s throw away from the clear, blue Aegean Sea. It takes the children just five minutes to walk to the golden sandy beach on foot. The programme is packed with exciting activities such as horse riding and table tennis. Other sports include basketball, volleyball and athletics. The Camp ends with a sports contest in the last week which all parents are invited to attend.
46. All the children come to the Camp have to _________- .
A. be at the same age B. be only keen on adventure
C. speak English D. practice basketball
47. How many kinds of sports can be played in the Camp?
A. 5 B. 2 C. 3 D. 4
48. All the statements are true EXCEPT________________- .
A. The children will be busy taking part in the Camp’s programmed activities
B. The Camp is quite far from the Aegean Sea
C. The parents can attend their children’s sports contest
D. The children will take more chances of English practice
49. The tone of the passage could best be described as____- .
A. negative B. disbelieving C. supportive D. humorous
50. What should be the best title for the passage?
A. An international summer camp
B. Children’s summer activities
C. Advice on children caring in summer
D. Chalkidiki’s landscape – the Aegean Sea
KEY FOR THE FIRST TERM TEST ( Grade 10th )